Re: [Videolib] Unrated dvds

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:52:39 -0500

Two things. Most small companies like Kino only release "unrated" versions
which has nothing to do with content but with both philosophical and
financial issues regarding rating procedures.

The "unrated" versions of films in which there are "rated" versions
Generally do add sex , violence or just footage. It is very unlikely
This version would be sent to a library unless is was specially requested
So I would not worry about being surprised by one in a collection. There
are a very few instances where such a version may represent a directors
Intention which ran into censorship issues but for the most part it is just
A tacky sales technique

> There was recently an article in our local newspaper about the fact that
> many DVD companies are releasing unrated versions of films instead of the
> theatrical rated version. I find this very disturbing. Marketers are
> expecting the curiousity factor, people looking for more sex, violence and
> language, will push people to buy the unrated version over the rated
> version. But what we are getting is not necessarily more sex, violence and
> language, just more footage. Does this mean that we are in some cases going
> to be getting an inferior version of the film?
>
> Julie Stump
> Head of Technical Services
> Voorheesville Public Library
> 51 School Rd.