RE: [Videolib] OT:"Watch List" on Inter-Library loans?

Tiar, Marc (MTiar@washoecounty.us)
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:55:40 -0800

------_=_NextPart_001_01C60508.7A9A2EBA

Perhaps straying from video librarianship, but library-related =
regardless...this story is rapidly unfolding and being debated as a =
possible hoax. See the details unfold here: =
http://www.boingboing.net/2005/12/18/dhs_agents_visit_stu.html among =
other places, I'm sure.
=20
Marc Tiar
Washoe County Library

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu =
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Jonathan =
Miller
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2005 10:31 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] "Watch List" on Inter-Library loans?=20

This is article from a paper in Southern Massachusetts (New Bedford), =
That Standard-Times
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/

Agents' visit chills UMass Dartmouth senior=20
By AARON NICODEMUS, Standard-Times staff writer

NEW BEDFORD -- A senior at UMass Dartmouth was visited by federal =
agents two months ago, after he requested a copy of Mao Tse-Tung's tome =
on Communism called "The Little Red Book." Two history professors at =
UMass Dartmouth, Brian Glyn Williams and Robert Pontbriand, said the =
student told them he requested the book through the UMass Dartmouth =
library's interlibrary loan program. The student, who was completing a =
research paper on Communism for Professor Pontbriand's class on fascism =
and totalitarianism, filled out a form for the request, leaving his =
name, address, phone number and Social Security number. He was later =
visited at his parents' home in New Bedford by two agents of the =
Department of Homeland Security, the professors said. The professors =
said the student was told by the agents that the book is on a "watch =
list," and that his background, which included significant time abroad, =
triggered them to investigate the student further. "I tell my students =
to go to the direct source, and so he asked for the official Peking =
version of the book," Professor Pontbriand said. "Apparently, the =
Department of Homeland Security is monitoring inter-library loans, =
because that's what triggered the visit, as I understand it."=20
Although The Standard-Times knows the name of the student, he is not =
coming forward because he fears repercussions should his name become =
public. He has not spoken to The Standard-Times. The professors had =
been asked to comment on a report that President Bush had authorized the =
National Security Agency to spy on as many as 500 people at any given =
time since 2002 in this country. The eavesdropping was apparently done =
without warrants.=20
The Little Red Book, is a collection of quotations and speech excerpts =
from Chinese leader Mao Tse-Tung.=20
In the 1950s and '60s, during the Cultural Revolution in China, it was =
required reading. Although there are abridged versions available, the =
student asked for a version translated directly from the original book.=20
The student told Professor Pontbriand and Dr. Williams that the =
Homeland Security agents told him the book was on a "watch list." They =
brought the book with them, but did not leave it with the student, the =
professors said.=20
Dr. Williams said in his research, he regularly contacts people in =
Afghanistan, Chechnya and other Muslim hot spots, and suspects that some =
of his calls are monitored.=20
"My instinct is that there is a lot more monitoring than we think," he =
said.=20
Dr. Williams said he had been planning to offer a course on terrorism =
next semester, but is reconsidering, because it might put his students =
at risk.=20
"I shudder to think of all the students I've had monitoring al-Qaeda =
Web sites, what the government must think of that," he said. "Mao =
Tse-Tung is completely harmless."=20

Contact Aaron Nicodemus at anicodemus@s-t.com=20

This story appeared on Page A9 of The Standard-Times on December 17, =
2005.

Here is the URL for the article above: =
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/12-05/12-17-05/a09lo650.htm#TOP

Anyone know of any videos/DVDs on the FBI's "Watch list"? Or experiences =
like this related to viewing (or wanting to watch) any films?=20

JM

Jonathan Miller
First Run/Icarus Films
32 Court Street, 21st Fl.=20
Brooklyn, NY 11201=20

www.frif.com
jmiller@frif.com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C60508.7A9A2EBA

Perhaps straying from video librarianship, but library-related=20 regardless...this story is rapidly unfolding and being debated as a = possible=20 hoax.  See the details unfold here: h= ttp://www.boingboing.net/2005/12/18/dhs_agents_visit_stu.html =20 among other places, I'm sure.

Marc=20 Tiar
Washoe=20 County Library