Re: [Videolib] streaming media and academic libraries: the future?

Mark Richie (n2books@frontiernet.net)
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:10:07 -0600

OK Gary, so from a K-12 perspective perhaps the term "academic" is too
broad a word- but from the lowly view of us K-12 types how about United
Streaming/Learning (now Discovery streaming), Films Incorporated, some
BFA titles, Visual Learning Corp, Bullfrog, Media Inc titles, Films for
the Humanities, AGC, AIMS Media (now with Discovery Streaming),
Classroom Video, . . . I'll think of a couple of others in a minute. A
couple of thousand titles is significant to me at least.

In general, most educational video distributors will at least work with
you if you want streaming and/or download distribution rights for their
products. In an open system like Cisco, or iDVS, it makes it fairly
easy to populate your server with specific titles tailored to client
needs. Producers can say "no way" or "sure, for X dollars under these
conditions" or "we'll get back to you" - or "we have no idea what you
are talking about . . ." All you have to do is ask.

Mark

Gary Handman wrote:

> "significant number of academic title are already available for IP
> distribution"
>
> Media Education foundation, Films Media Group, and a chunk of PBS
> titles...that's it, Mark...unless you know something that I don't
>
> Gary
>

> At 04:24 PM 12/10/2005, you wrote:
>
>> Hi Maureen and All - Interesting that the faculty does not want video
>> resources to be circulated out-of-house to students. Who gets to
>> make circulation policy? Does the faculty get decision making rights
>> for which books can be checked out and which can't? Hmmmmm . . . .
>>
>> And for your boss . . . five years? She must mean five years AGO . .
>> . past tense. Our first video over IP server went up in December
>> 1999 for full motion, full screen video on demand in a K-12 regional
>> service center. Streaming video became widely available from several
>> vendors by 2001. Some offer the cost per viewing model. Some offer
>> servers and software and let you load your own content and build your
>> own metadata catalog.
>>
>> In a campus setting video on demand systems make a lot of sense.
>> Faculty should be able to assign video to watch in preperation for a
>> lecture or lab and students should be able to see it in their dorms
>> (or off campus on anything but a dial up connection).
>>
>> And, no, Video collections will not cease to exist IMHO. Mostly
>> because you will never get digital distribution (read streaming)
>> rights to EVERY title in an academic video collection. Social issue
>> docs, some features, out of print, rare titles, unknown rights
>> holders, exorbitant fees and assorted other issues detailed by others
>> on the list will keep many titles off line and in physical media only.
>> But a significant number of academic title are already available for
>> IP distribution and universities could easily begin to make the shift
>> to non-physical video access. Other than money, the down side to the
>> shift is breaking old habits of faculty in using video as powerful
>> support tool for the learning process.
>>
>> Mark Richie
>> Xmedia2@frontiernet.net
>>

>> Maureen Tripp wrote:
>>
>>> Some of you may recall that I wanted to begin circulating our video
>>> resources to students--currently they circulate to faculty only, and
>>> students must use them inhouse. Well, that proposal has been
>>> soundly rejected by the faculty. When I said I wanted to continue
>>> to press for this, my boss told me that streaming media will soon
>>> render the issue moot. "In five years," she told me, "streaming
>>> video will change the entire way academic media resources will
>>> operate."
>>>
>>> Okay, I'd like to tap the collective wisdom of the list re this
>>> statement:
>>> 1. Five years?
>>> 2. Will video resource collections cease to exist?