RE: [Videolib] Anyone using a Disc-Go-Pod Plus machine

James Scholtz (jimscholtz@sdln.net)
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:18:03 -0500

Hi Barb, My name is Jim Scholtz. I'm the library director in a
medium-sized public library in SD. We own 3 disc cleaning/repair machines
and repair not only our own collection, but have a contract to clean a video
store chain's discs in town. You may want to revisit the LJ article in the
May 2004 special AV ed. where I contrasted and compared disc repair units.
We have the original Disc Go Pod. It has worked okay but we've had to
replace the pump and the on/off switch. The motor would often overheat
after about doing 8 discs. The only difference between the Disc Go Pod and
the DGP+ is that the buffing pads are preset in the +; they can't be
adjusted. Our DGP sold for 375 (same unit at Video Store Shopper for $495)
As you know it is a single stage unit and, we found that it just doesn't get
out deep scratches, even after repeated buffings (normally, we buff a disc
3-4 times in the DGP - at 3 min. per cycle). To tell you the truth, the JFJ
unit is probably the best bet if you want to spend an equivalent amount of
money (approx. $595 for the single arm unit, cost per disc is about 30c).
It is a 4 stage unit (2 sanding, 2 buffing) but depending upon the severity
of disc damage, you can use 2 -3 stages. It is a bit staff intensive in
that a staff member must physically change pads and apply polish for all
stages. The JFJ unit is extremely durable, has large operational buttons,
easy to clean and has a high output motor. I've had the unit for almost 2
years - we repair about 500 discs per month and we've had no trouble with
the unit. We recenetly purchased the RTI Eco Smart unit and currently, are
comparing it to the JFJ unit. It is much more expensive ($2995) but is a
bit easier to use than the JFJ unit. Pads are magnetic (it is a 5-stage
unit) and easy to change but it uses a small bit of distilled water with a
conditioner added so you have to have space for a gal. of distilled water
and a waste bottle. RTI is a very reputable company and the machine has
tight tolerances - I was worried that the JFJ unit might be damaging discs
and we were doing such a high volume that I wanted to get a machine that I
knew was 'perfect.' We don't own a digital tester so our inspection
technique is gauged by patron complaints. As our tests progress, I feel
that the JFJ unit is just as reliable as the RTI unit. Initally, we
purchased the DGP in hopes that we could set up an easy, one-step, no mess
cleaning station for patrons (@ $1 per disc/side) but we really couldn't
find a unit that was one-step, no mess and cost effective as well as easy to
use - from a patron's standpoint. From my product comparisons, I'd stay
away from the DGP, purchasing the JFJ unit instead and then consider
upgrading to the RTI unit when feasible.

JFJ Disc Repair. 7020 Hayvenhurst Ave., Ste. A, Van Nuys, CA 91406 (800)
245-3675.
RTI, 4700 Chase, Lincolnwood, IL 60712-1689 (800) 323-7520 talk to Scott
Jahnke - he'll give you a good deal and you can mention my name (he's a good
friend)

I'm thinking about doing a follow-up article on the machines in LJ cause
their are some new players out there and technology has changed.

I hope this information helps.

Jim Scholtz, Library Director
Yankton Community Library
515 Walnut St.