Re: [Videolib] streaming media and academic libraries: the

Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:09:56 -0800

--=====================_11520250==_

--=====================_11520250==_

oh, yeah... forgot that one.

Thanks, Chris!

g.

At 09:57 AM 12/12/2005, you wrote:

>All Annenberg/CPB titles are freely available in their entirety on
>their website.
>
>Chris Lewis
>Media Librarian/Humanities Collection Manager
>American University Library
>202.885.3257
>Inactive hide details for Gary Handman <ghandman@library.ber
>Gary Handman <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
>
>Gary Handman <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> Sent by:
>videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
>
>12/12/2005 11:09 AM
>Please respond to videolib@library.berkeley.edu
>[]

>videolib@library.berkeley.edu
>[]
>
>cc
>
>[]
>
>Subject
>
>Re: [Videolib] streaming media and academic libraries: the future?
>
>"significant number of academic title are already available for IP
>distribution"
>
>Media Education foundation, Films Media Group, and a chunk of PBS
>titles...that's it, Mark...unless you know something that I don't
>
>Gary
>

>At 04:24 PM 12/10/2005, you wrote:
> >Hi Maureen and All - Interesting that the faculty does not want
> >video resources to be circulated out-of-house to students. Who gets
> >to make circulation policy? Does the faculty get decision making
> >rights for which books can be checked out and which can't? Hmmmmm . . . .
> >
> >And for your boss . . . five years? She must mean five years AGO . .
> >. past tense. Our first video over IP server went up in December
> >1999 for full motion, full screen video on demand in a K-12 regional
> >service center. Streaming video became widely available from several
> >vendors by 2001. Some offer the cost per viewing model. Some offer
> >servers and software and let you load your own content and build
> >your own metadata catalog.
> >
> >In a campus setting video on demand systems make a lot of
> >sense. Faculty should be able to assign video to watch in
> >preperation for a lecture or lab and students should be able to see
> >it in their dorms (or off campus on anything but a dial up connection).
> >
> >And, no, Video collections will not cease to exist IMHO. Mostly
> >because you will never get digital distribution (read streaming)
> >rights to EVERY title in an academic video collection. Social issue
> >docs, some features, out of print, rare titles, unknown rights
> >holders, exorbitant fees and assorted other issues detailed by
> >others on the list will keep many titles off line and in physical
> media only.
> >But a significant number of academic title are already available for
> >IP distribution and universities could easily begin to make the
> >shift to non-physical video access. Other than money, the down side
> >to the shift is breaking old habits of faculty in using video as
> >powerful support tool for the learning process.
> >
> >Mark Richie
> >Xmedia2@frontiernet.net

> [...]

UC Berkeley

*****

spectacles."
--Guy Debord

R0lGODlhEAAQAKECAMzMzAAAAP///wAAACH5BAEAAAIALAAAAAAQABAAAAIXlI+py+0PopwxUbpu
ZRfKZ2zgSJbmSRYAIf4fT3B0aW1pemVkIGJ5IFVsZWFkIFNtYXJ0U2F2ZXIhAAA7

R0lGODlhEAABAIAAAAAAAP///yH5BAEAAAEALAAAAAAQAAEAAAIEjI8ZBQA7