Re: [Videolib] Disabilities film, 1970's

Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:05:31 -0800

Chinesisches Roulette (Chinese Roulette) (1976)
Director, Rainer Werner Fassbinder. A German businessman pretending
to go on a business trip heads for his country estate with his French
mistress where he runs into his wife and her own lover. When their
teenage daughter, a young teen who walks with crutches, arrives she
angrily confronts them with their hypocrisy and compels everyone to
rigorous truth-telling, revealing the latent hatreds within the
family, culminating in a shocking climax. 96 min.

Miracle Worker (1979)
Directed by Paul Aaron. Featuring Patty Duke Astin, Melissa Gilbert,
Diana Muldaur, Charles Siebert. A dramatization of the true story of
the struggle of a Boston teacher, Annie Sullivan, to communicate with
and teach the deaf, blind, and mute child, Helen Keller. Original
television drama made in 1979. Based on William Gibson's play. 98 min.

See also the excellent web site: http://www.disabilityfilms.co.uk/

At 03:52 PM 12/8/2005, you wrote:
>Hi collective wisdom,
>
>Can anyone think of a film made during the 1970's that has as a
>leading character a woman with a physical disability? I'm working
>with a student who is trying to find one or two films from the last
>four decades which feature a female dealing with a handicap. Examples are:
>Patch of Blue
>Wait Until Dark
>etc.
>
>You get the idea. Any suggestions for a film made in the 1970's?
>
>Thanks very much,
>
>Glenda Pearson
>Cinema Studies Librarian
>Suzzallo Library