RE: [Videolib] streaming media and academic libraries: the

Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:49:06 -0800

The robustness and feasibility of the technology isn't the issue,
Mark...content is.

I am speaking from a lofty and patently snooty academic perspective
here, I admit, but it seems to me that the VAST (and I mean VAST)
majority of materials that are staples for higher ed instruction will
never be available over the wires ... ever. Other parts of the
universe--feature films, for eg--will undoubtedly become available
over the net... But I still question the short and long term
feasibility of academic institutions buying into the "pay per drink"
model that movies will undoubtedly fall into.

It is possible that licensing arrangements will make it
theoretically possible for institutions to digitize and deliver
existing or future non-theatrical content, but even in large
institutions such as the one I'm in, the staffing and infrastructure
costs are going to put up enormous roadblocks.

Again, my major concern in all of this is the potential of sliding
toward the procrustean...the tendency to cut of the head and the feet
to match the size of the bed.

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan