RE: [Videolib] streaming media and academic libraries: the future?

Mark Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 14:37:43 -0500

My perspective is from a K-12 Media Center...Circulated Instructional
Media vs your Library Collections...

Just like any new format or technology, it will take some time to shake
out all the bugs. The paradigm shift from film to tape took many years.
There was the advent of Video Tape...VHS vs Beta...and it took several
years for that to settle ( I certainly hope we get the better format
this time). It looks like DVD might very well be one of the
shortest-lived formats in media. The fact of the matter is, media will
be delivered via an Internet connection (How long till NetFlix and
Blockbuster give you the option?). The techies for the end users will
have to step up to new machines....just like they had to shift from film
projectors to VHS tape players, they will have to shift from their
current machines to the ones that produce a picture from a digitally
delivered signal.

The notion that it won't happen, is extraordinarily short-sighted, as we
see the snowballing of Internet2. The MPAA and RIAA have now joined the
Internet2 community (
https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/arc/i2-news/2005-09/msg00000.html ), so
we know the biggest "guns" in the industry are already looking to
capitalize on the newest delivery methods. The education market might
not be an early adopter, but it WILL follow. No one has the answers, as
to a time frame, but it's coming fast!

And for those who question video quality, via digital networks, they are
already broadcasting HIGH DEFINITION video!...yes...High Def over
Internet2, with a 4k picture quality (example:
http://www.internet2.edu/video/library/details.cfm?id=70 )! As far as
the examples that Jessica has sited, producers, authors, rights-owners
who will not allow "rights" for digital technologies...they have their
druthers. They can either step up to current reality, or become part of
some obscure archive, stored in a media center basement, next to a row
of Beta machines and laser disk players. Is it right? Who's to say...but
there WERE those who didn't adopt VHS tape. Our center gave away all
those old films, when no one wanted them anymore, or were finally unable
to play them with their crumbling machines.

So, to give my humble input to the original questions....
1. Five years?...
A fair estimate, given how fast and strong I2 is coming along.
I'm betting on widespread use, in less time than that, though. If all
goes well, our center is looking at 100meg connectivity, with Internet2
infrastructure within a year...hint...streamed media files via a virtual
network (LAN, WAN) provides better picture quality.

2. Will video resource collections cease to exist?
They may cease to exist, in their current format...rights holder
HAVE to step up, IF they wish to be players in the future. Jessica, I
KNOW what you said about not being able to garner the rights to allow
this.

3. And on a practical level, is anyone out there using streaming video
as part of a Media Resources collection--if so, how useful/effective is
it?
Right now, as a K-12 Media Center, streamed/downloaded product
has replaced circulation of tape (and small numbers of DVD) at a nearly
one to one trade-off. And as always, those who never adopted the moving
picture image when it was in 16mm format, never adopted VHS, and aren't
looking to adopt digital wares. Those who do adopt, find the non-linear
use of digital files, to be extraordinarily useful in a classroom
setting. I don't have to preach to this audience, the effectiveness of
small key-element clips, in the classroom.

As more campuses choose I2, media content will be made more available.
The market will see to that. Unfortunately, today's market eats
yesterday's market...there IS an upside to that equation, though... if
it didn't, there would never be a need for tomorrow's market.

On an aside, is anyone gunna stop the Colts!!?? My "Stillers" failed
miserably...but not NEARLY as miserably as the Iggles! HA HA

Mark W. Kopp