Re: [Videolib] Pre-1970 romantic comedies based on books

Gary Handman (
Thu, 08 Dec 2005 10:44:17 -0800

Uh...jessica...although I appreciate your, uh,
delightfully skewed view of the universe, I think
you've finally gone over the top: Dr.
Strangelove--a romantic comedy??? (precious bodily fluids aside)...

At 09:56 AM 12/8/2005, you wrote:
>Well this is a HUGE subject. Also Earnest was
>based on play not a book so an even larger
>category if you do that. For some reason my top pick is the 1940 version of
>Pride & Prejudice others might include Dr.
>Strangelove, Only Two Can Play ( obscure and probably not on video but very
>good) The Horse’s Mouth, Tight Little Island,
>Topper ( not the most famous ones I grant you but wonderful)
>Hello all,
>Our public library has begun a quarterly film
>series called “Based on the Book.” Each quarter
>we plan to focus on a particular genre/theme,
>and the upcoming one is Romantic Comedies.
>Perhaps you already see our problem. We’re
>having a great deal of difficulty coming up with
>classic (pre-1970, and preferably earlier)
>romantic comedies that were based on books.
>Already suggested are “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes”
>and “The Importance of Being Earnest.” I appeal
>to the vast collective for suggestions…
>Thanks in advance,
>Michael Logan
>Acquisitions & Technical Services