Re: [Videolib] Pre-1970 romantic comedies based on books

Wed, 07 Dec 2005 17:34:14 -0800

My Man Godfrey
Based on the novel by Eric Hatch (Eric who????)

Gigi
Based on the novelette Gigi by Colette (comedy...? well, maybe...)

I'd sorta consider the Thin Man series sorta romantic comedy (Dash Hammett)

Gary Handman

I scoured the AFI catalog ... nothing...lots of
plays and short stories, but few if any novels!

At 04:22 PM 12/7/2005, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Our public library has begun a quarterly film
>series called “Based on the Book.” Each quarter
>we plan to focus on a particular genre/theme,
>and the upcoming one is Romantic Comedies.
>Perhaps you already see our problem. We’re
>having a great deal of difficulty coming up with
>classic (pre-1970, and preferably earlier)
>romantic comedies that were based on books.
>Already suggested are “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes”
>and “The Importance of Being Earnest.” I appeal
>to the vast collective for suggestions…
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Michael Logan
>Acquisitions & Technical Services