Re: [Videolib] List of 50 best documentaries

Jonathan Miller (jmiller@frif.com)
Wed, 07 Dec 2005 17:24:16 -0500

I haven't come up with 50 yet but here's a start.
Leaving aside the three mentioned below:

The Fall of the Romanov Dynasty
Man with a Movie Camera
Rain
Native Land
Land without Bread
Strange Fruit
Night and Fog
Shoah
The Sorrow and the Pity
The Battle of San Pietro
Chronicle of a Summer
Primary
Crisis: Behind a Presidental Committment
Salesman
Harvest of Shame
For the First Time (Por Primera Vez, Cuban short doc.)
La Joli Mai
A Grin without a Cat
The Anderson Platoon
The Battle of Chile
Trobriand Cricket
Celso and Cora (no one's seen it, but trust me)
An American Family
Joyce at 34
The Times of Harvey Milk
Harlan County USA
The Thin Blue Line
Fourteen Days in May
Sherman's March
Roger and Me
When we were Kings
The Civil War
How Yukong Moved the Mountains
Bus 174

That's not 50 and there are some glaring wholes in the list (and maybe
one or two too many of our films?) but it's a start and i got to go so
someone else could fill in the gaps?

Best

Jonathan Miller