Re: [Videolib] List of 50 best documentaries

Wed, 07 Dec 2005 13:48:08 -0800

At 09:42 AM 12/7/2005, you wrote:
>Iím looking for a list of the best
>documentaries, I have found a list on IMBD and
>GreenCine but these are picked by members. Is there a list like AFI out there?
>

>Highly subjective, highly personal, but here's
>my desert island list ... I'd prefer to think of
>this not as best, but as a historical
>representative sample of good stuff in diverse styles and approaches

Lumiere Brothers films
Nanook of the North (1922)
Fall of the Romanov Dynasty (1927)
Berlin, the Symphony of a City (1927)
Man With a Movie Camera (Chelovek s Kinoapparatom) (1929)
A propos de Nice (1930)
Night Mail (1936)
The Plow That Broke the Plains. (1934)
Triumph of the Will (Triumph des Willens: Das
Dokument vom Reichsparteitag 1934)
The Song of Ceylon (1935)
Olympia (1936-1938)
Land Without Bread (Las Hurdes) (1937)
The Spanish Earth (1937)
The River: a U.S. Documentary Film (1939)
The City (1939; co-directed with Willard Van Dyke)
Fires Were Started. (1943)
Night and Fog (Nuit et Brouillard) (1955)
Primary (1961)
Lonely boy / Wolf Koenig, Roman Kroitor (Natl Film Board of Canada 196 1)
Chronique d'un Ete = Chronicle of a Summer (1962)
Don't Look Back (1967)
Titicut Follies (1967)
In the Year of the Pig (1968)
Salesman (1968)
Gimme Shelter: The Rolling Stones. Uncut. Uncensored. Unsurpassed (1970)
The Up series (7 up...et al. Michael Apted, 1970--)
The Sorrow and the Pity (Le Chagrin et la Pitiť) (1972)
Hearts and Minds (1974)
Welfare (1975)
Grey Gardens (1976)
Battle of Chile (La Batalla de Chile). 1976-199?
Always for Pleasure: a film. 1979.
<http://sunsite5.berkeley.edu:8000/WebZ/FETCH?sessionid=01-38534-808170739&recno=1&resultset=1&format=F&next=html/record.html&bad=error/badfetch.html&:entitytoprecno=1:entitycurrecno=1>Daughter
rite <Michelle Citron, 1979>
The Day After Trinity: J. Robert Oppenheimer and the Atomic Bomb 1980.
Word is out. 1992.
Shoah: A Film. 1985.
Eyes on the Prize. (series, 1986)
The Times of Harvey Milk. 1986.
Sherman's March. 1986.
The Life and Times of Rosie the Riveter. c1987.
Harlan County U.S.A. 1989
The Thin Blue Line. 1989.
Tongues Untied. 1989.
Surname Viet, Given Name Nam. c1989.
Roger & Me. 1990.
Paris is Burning. 1992.
Civil War. (Burns, 1994)
Complaints of a Dutiful Daughter. 1994.
A.k.a. Don Bonus (Spencer Nakasako, Sokly Ny, 1995)
Nobody's Business. 1996.

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan