Re: [Videolib] streaming media and academic libraries: the

Rick Provine (PROVINE@depauw.edu)
Wed, 07 Dec 2005 15:40:31 -0500

Well, I think a lot of it will happen directly from studios. It will be
basically video on demand or pay per view. I think we will have
streamed access to features (well, hollywood features) long before we
have decent access to docs or indy films...it will cost, but we are now
blithely paying the CCC for access to articles for reserves that we
never used to...just a matter of institutional priority...

>>> jrosner@kino.com 12/7/2005 1:41:45 PM >>>
Not gonna happen for FEATURE films at least legally
Way too many rights holders who will simply never agree and
You can't force them. I am sure however that lots of stuff will be
allowed
to be streamed but a lot won't .
Gonna be fun

Jessica

> Some of you may recall that I wanted to begin circulating our video
resources
> to students--currently they circulate to faculty only, and students
must use
> them inhouse. Well, that proposal has been soundly rejected by the
faculty.
> When I said I wanted to continue to press for this, my boss told me
that
> streaming media will soon render the issue moot. "In five years,"
she told
> me, "streaming video will change the entire way academic media
resources will
> operate."
>
> Okay, I'd like to tap the collective wisdom of the list re this
statement:
> 1. Five years?
> 2. Will video resource collections cease to exist?
> 3. And on a practical level, is anyone out there using streaming
video as
> part of a Media Resources collection--if so, how useful/effective is
it?
> As always, thanks for your input!
>
> Maureen Tripp
> Media Librarian