Re: [Videolib] streaming media and academic libraries: the

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 07 Dec 2005 13:41:45 -0500

Not gonna happen for FEATURE films at least legally
Way too many rights holders who will simply never agree and
You can't force them. I am sure however that lots of stuff will be allowed
to be streamed but a lot won't .
Gonna be fun

Jessica

> Some of you may recall that I wanted to begin circulating our video resources
> to students--currently they circulate to faculty only, and students must use
> them inhouse. Well, that proposal has been soundly rejected by the faculty.
> When I said I wanted to continue to press for this, my boss told me that
> streaming media will soon render the issue moot. "In five years," she told
> me, "streaming video will change the entire way academic media resources will
> operate."
>
> Okay, I'd like to tap the collective wisdom of the list re this statement:
> 1. Five years?
> 2. Will video resource collections cease to exist?
> 3. And on a practical level, is anyone out there using streaming video as
> part of a Media Resources collection--if so, how useful/effective is it?
> As always, thanks for your input!
>
> Maureen Tripp
> Media Librarian
> Media Services Center