RE: [Videolib] shelving by genre

Cartford, Peter, JCL (CartfordP@jocolibrary.org)
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:32:51 -0600

=20

________________________________

From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Eileen
Simmons
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 11:05 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] shelving by genre

This is a question for public libraries:
How do you shelve your feature films? Do you have one long alphabetical
run by title or do you subdivide by genre?
=20
Thanks,
Eileen Simmons
Everett Public Library
2702 Hoyt Ave.
Everett, WA 98201

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5FB5C.A1FFD5F0

We shelve = alphabetically=20 by title.  However, we shelve TV shows along with the movies and I = plan to=20 ask public service staff what they think of separating those and maybe = foreign=20 films out for separate shelving.  (Though I do think there's a = serendipity=20 factor at work for patrons when everything's shelved together.)  = I've never=20 been much for shelving by category or genre, principally because it = makes=20 title searches more difficult--you have to know the genre = first.  I do=20 like the idea of a genre listing on  the = library's catalog or web=20 site--a page where patrons could go for a nice clean listing of titles = under=20 each category.  Hasn't happened here yet but someday . . = .

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian
Johnson County=20 Library
Overland Park, = KS