Re: [Videolib] Need distributor: No Place Like Home (1994)

M. Claire Stewart (
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:26:38 -0600

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

The URL is misspelled (in both messages). , however, does work. The other yields a
domain parking/under construction message.

I'm sure I'm about the 50th person to discover this and am probably
flooding everyone's email box along with them. Sorry.

At 10:19 AM -0800 11/16/05, Berkeley Media wrote:
>Dear Monique,
>Like a number of people, you seem to be confusing Berkeley media
>LLC, which is very much alive and thriving, with the University of
>California Extension's former Center for Media and Independent
>Learning, which has gone out of business.
>Please don't start rumors in this forum that Berkeley Media LLC has
>gone out of business when in reality you are thinking of UC
>Extension's CMIL. Although many of our (Berkeley Media LLC) titles
>(though not all) were formerly distributed by UC Extension, there is
>otherwise no connection between the two entities. Particularly now
>that one of them is defunct.
>Had you actually gone to the web link you cite below
>(<>, you
>would have found that "No Place Like Home" is indeed available from
>us (Berkeley Media LLC). You may order it directly online, or you
>may send us a purchase order. You can also phone in an order if you
>prefer. Our complete contact information is in the "signature" at
>the very end of this email.
>Dan Bickley
>Berkeley Media LLC
>At 10:35 AM -0500 11/16/05, Threatt, Monique L wrote:
>>I have a faculty member who would like to use NO PLACE LIKE HOME
>>for class. The film aired on POV / PBS in 1995. It is my
>>understanding that Berkley Media LLC no longer distributes films.
>>Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>NO PLACE LIKE HOME, 25 min., color, 1994. VHS or DVD: $225.
>>Produced by Kathryn Hunt. Order from Berkley Media LLC
>>It's a personal documentary about a homeless family. The film is
>>shot from the perspective of the 10-year-old daughter, who provides
>>an insightful and heartbreaking lens through which we experience a
>>legacy of poverty, violence, and hopelessness.
>>Monique Threatt
>>Librarian for Media, Communication & Culture,
>> French & Italian
>>Herman B Wells Library, W121
>>Indiana University
>>Bloomington, IN 47405
>>phone: (812) 855-9857
>>FAX: (812) 855-1649
>Berkeley Media LLC
>2600 Tenth Street, Suite 626
>Berkeley, CA 94710 -2522
>Phone: 510-486-9900
>Fax: 510-486-9944

M. Claire Stewart
Head, Digital Media Services, Marjorie I. Mitchell Multimedia Center
Coordinator of Digitization Projects, Northwestern University Library
(847) 467-1437
Videolib mailing list