Re: [Videolib] Hitchcock's Pleasure Garden on DVD

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:24:32 -0500

--=====================_443032906==.ALT

I'd love to see the end of Elstree Calling since the power went out at the
theatre right before the end and the Anna May Wong sequence, and I never
got a chance to see it again. Hitchcock only directed a few sketches in the
film, but they scream Hitchcock. It's a lot more interesting than Waltzes
from Vienna which seems to be the least Hitchcockian film of all. Compared
to other directors, the percentage of Hitchcock's output that is available
on legally issued video is absolutely staggering.

Oksana

At 02:57 PM 11/14/2005, you wrote:

>In a message dated 11/14/05 2:47:52 PM, ghandman@library.berkeley.edu writes:
>

>>The only version availalbe is a "something-the-cat-dragged-in pirated copy
>
>And just to point out, beyond the illegality of the copy and the poorness
>of the video quality, there has been an incredible number of GREAT
>Hitchock DVD releases in the past few months. Although The Pleasure Garden
>is his oldest extant film, it's certainly for completists only -- THE
>LODGER really is (until any earlier and better films are discovered of
>his) his first real "Hitchcock" film. The British Film Institute released
>a very good version of this on PAL VHS.
>

>Dennis Doros
>Milestone Film & Video
>PO Box 128
>Harrington Park, NJ 07640
>Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
>Fax: (201) 767-3035
>Email: milefilms@aol.com
>Website: http://www.milestonefilms.com
>
>"Welcome to New Jersey.
> Big Hair, Big Heart, Big Fun!"
> - Amy Heller

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-2424 ext.3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3437
Faculty of Fine Arts
Concordia University
H-335, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec