Re: [Videolib] College/University Libraries: Your experience with

Meghann Matwichuk (mtwchk@udel.edu)
Sat, 12 Nov 2005 16:49:18 -0500

Jonathan Miller wrote:

> Actually, I'd be interested if people responded to this _online._
>
> And distributors as well as libraries. I know they have approached
> some distributors, and will need to decide what to do, too.
>
> I believe their competition is e.g. CDigix, about which there were
> some posts a while ago. So also, any comparisons between the 2 systems?

My impression, after viewing a Ruckus demostration here on campus and
investigating CDigix's service, is that Ruckus has a greater
understanding / respect for the complications inherent in this kind of
service re: copyright. I inquired about this with someone who's worked
with CDigix, and the response was that his institution enjoyed hefty
legal support and a broad interpretation of intellectual property rights.

I can't speak to how these products compare as far as service, library
content, etc. One observation is that Ruckus does not have (nor does it
sound like there's an eye towards) usability on a Mac (or non-PC, for
that matter) platform (I can't recall if this is the same for CDigix).

Best,

Meghann R. Matwichuk, M.S.
Assistant Librarian
Instructional Media Department