RE: [Videolib] CD-ROMs

Cartford, Peter, JCL (CartfordP@jocolibrary.org)
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 10:01:49 -0600

We haven't officially stopped buying CD-ROMS but I sorta didn't around
to it the last couple of years (that money was more useful elsewhere)
and nobody noticed. My general take: if you don't have a CD-ROM
collection now, don't start one. If you have one, let it die. Games?
We're not buying--yet.

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian
Johnson County Library
Overland Park, KS
913-495-2496
cartfordp@jocolibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Julie
Mortensen
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 2:00 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu; oplinlist@oplin.org
Subject: [Videolib] CD-ROMs

This is a question for public librarians involved with AV purchasing,
although I'll be happy to read anyone's two cents.

How are CD-ROM collections faring in public libraries? Is there still
public usage or is interest waning? Are you experiencing problems with
the CD-ROMs becoming unusable? I'm not very technically savvy, but am
under the impression software is being created that can only be
installed and used once (Microsoft products, for example), making them
useless in a public library collection.

Our PC games are the most popular in the collection. Are there any
success/horror stories concerning offering Xbox or PlayStation games for
circulation you'd like to share?

Thanks in advance,

Julie

Julie Mortensen