RE: [Videolib] Folkstreams.net

Wed, 09 Nov 2005 08:01:43 -0800

Yeah, but....

Stability is a difficult thing to peg down in the case of freebies
(freelectrics?). When I started MRC's web site in the mid 90s I
included huge numbers of links from individual videographic entries
to relevant web sites... Over the years, the time involved in
maintaining and cleaning up these links has been so back-breaking,
that I've radically scaled back (if PBS is out there
listening: shame on you! You're prime offenders of promoting web link rot!)

Secondly: cataloging a metasite like folkstreams is, in my
estimation, fairly useless, unless you give the site mega-cataloging
(copious 500 fields, etc.). If it's worth cataloging at all, it
seems to me that item-level cataloging is the way to go (in other
words, cataloging the individual video titles mounted on the site)

Gary

At 05:23 PM 11/8/2005, Bergman, Barbara J wrote:

>If content is valuable and fairly stable, we catalog it as an electronic
>resource.
>
>Barb Bergman
>Media Services Librarian
>Minnesota State University-Mankato