RE: [Videolib] CD-ROMs

Blane Halliday (bhalliday@collier-lib.org)
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:36:04 -0500

Julie,

We stopped purchasing new CD-ROMs a year ago to little notice/questioning from the public. Our circulation on these titles had been in steady decline for some time, so the decision to discontinue them was a relatively easy one. When we did survey the few customers who did, in fact, use the CD-ROMs, the response seemed to indicate a waning interest in the format (perhaps due to much of the content's being available on the internet?). We do sometimes get questions about whether we circulate Microsoft-type software (like Word, Publisher, etc.), which of course cannot be circulated due to their installation limitations.

We have never collected PC games.

I hope that helps...

Blane

Blane Halliday
AV Acquisitions Librarian
Collier County Public Library
2385 Orange Blossom Drive
Naples, Florida 34109
239-593-3511, ext. 45
bhalliday@collier-lib.org

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Julie
Mortensen
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 3:00 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu; oplinlist@oplin.org
Subject: [Videolib] CD-ROMs

This is a question for public librarians involved with AV purchasing, although I'll be happy to read anyone's two cents.

How are CD-ROM collections faring in public libraries? Is there still public usage or is interest waning? Are you experiencing problems with the CD-ROMs becoming unusable? I'm not very technically savvy, but am under the impression software is being created that can only be installed and used once (Microsoft products, for example), making them useless in a public library collection.

Our PC games are the most popular in the collection. Are there any success/horror stories concerning offering Xbox or PlayStation games for circulation you'd like to share?

Thanks in advance,

Julie

Julie Mortensen

Adult Services Department