Re: [Videolib] In Defense of Film Studies

Mon, 07 Nov 2005 13:11:02 -0800

Wow...you're kidding, right, Rick? Someone is questioning film
studies as a scholarly field of study? Amazing!

In her chapter in Video Collection Development (2nd ed) Oksanda Dykyj
wrote a history/overview of the discipline as part of her larger
chapter on collections to support the enterprise.

Cinema Journal 43.3 (2004) has a series of articles that discuss the
past and future of film studies as a discrete discipline...

<http://md3.csa.com/ids70/p_search_form.php?field=au&query=solomon+stanley+j&log=literal&SID=0250e04182cb2d281c4a862c9983bdc8>Solomon,
Stanley J.,
"<http://md3.csa.com/ids70/view_record.php?id=10&recnum=13&SID=0250e04182cb2d281c4a862c9983bdc8>Film
Study and Genre Courses " College Composition and Communication, vol.
25, no. 4, pp. 277-83, Fall 1974.

<http://md3.csa.com/ids70/p_search_form.php?field=au&query=coonley+don&log=literal&SID=0250e04182cb2d281c4a862c9983bdc8>Coonley,
Don (recorder),
"<http://md3.csa.com/ids70/view_record.php?id=12&recnum=14&SID=0250e04182cb2d281c4a862c9983bdc8>Film
as Art Form and Mode of Communication." College Composition and
Communication, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 311, Fall 1973.

(both avail via jstor) are useful discussions of film studies within
the context of literature/english programs

<http://md3.csa.com/ids70/p_search_form.php?field=au&query=welsch+janice+r&log=literal&SID=0250e04182cb2d281c4a862c9983bdc8>Welsch,
Janice
R.,
"<http://md3.csa.com/ids70/view_record.php?id=13&recnum=13&SID=0250e04182cb2d281c4a862c9983bdc8>The
Future of Cinema
Studies<http://md3.csa.com/ids70/view_record.php?id=13&recnum=13&SID=0250e04182cb2d281c4a862c9983bdc8>:
A View from the Trenches ."
Cinema Journal, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 53-55, Winter 1985.
Avail via jstor

<http://md3.csa.com/ids70/p_search_form.php?field=au&query=andrew+dudley&log=literal&SID=0250e04182cb2d281c4a862c9983bdc8>Andrew,
Dudley
"<http://md3.csa.com/ids70/view_record.php?id=13&recnum=6&SID=0250e04182cb2d281c4a862c9983bdc8>The
'Three Ages' of Cinema
Studies<http://md3.csa.com/ids70/view_record.php?id=13&recnum=6&SID=0250e04182cb2d281c4a862c9983bdc8>
and the Age to Come ."
PMLA: Publications of the Modern Language Association of America,
vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 341-51, May 2000.
Haven't read this but it looks interesing...

Gary

At 11:45 AM 11/7/2005, you wrote:
>Hi Folks:
>
>I am looking for an article that adequately describes (justifies?) film
>studies as a valid, scholarly field of study. I am working with a group
>to establish Film Studies as a major, and of course there is much
>bureaucracy, some of it from people who themselves question the validity
>of FS. So some education is in order.
>
>All recommendations welcome!
>
>Thanks!
>
>Rick