Re: [Videolib] In Defense of Film Studies

Gary Handman (
Mon, 07 Nov 2005 13:11:02 -0800're kidding, right, Rick? Someone is questioning film
studies as a scholarly field of study? Amazing!

In her chapter in Video Collection Development (2nd ed) Oksanda Dykyj
wrote a history/overview of the discipline as part of her larger
chapter on collections to support the enterprise.

Cinema Journal 43.3 (2004) has a series of articles that discuss the
past and future of film studies as a discrete discipline...

Stanley J.,
Study and Genre Courses " College Composition and Communication, vol.
25, no. 4, pp. 277-83, Fall 1974.

Don (recorder),
as Art Form and Mode of Communication." College Composition and
Communication, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 311, Fall 1973.

(both avail via jstor) are useful discussions of film studies within
the context of literature/english programs

Future of Cinema
A View from the Trenches ."
Cinema Journal, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 53-55, Winter 1985.
Avail via jstor

'Three Ages' of Cinema
and the Age to Come ."
PMLA: Publications of the Modern Language Association of America,
vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 341-51, May 2000.
Haven't read this but it looks interesing...

At 11:45 AM 11/7/2005, you wrote:
>Hi Folks:
>I am looking for an article that adequately describes (justifies?) film
>studies as a valid, scholarly field of study. I am working with a group
>to establish Film Studies as a major, and of course there is much
>bureaucracy, some of it from people who themselves question the validity
>of FS. So some education is in order.
>All recommendations welcome!
>Videolib mailing list

UC Berkeley