Re: [Videolib] Movie Ratings and Public Libraries

Jerry Notaro (notaro@stpt.usf.edu)
Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:38:09 -0500

Nichole,

There are more than a few problems with using the MPAA Rating guide for
beyond those of intellectual freedom. First, what was once R would hardly be
PG-13 because of changing traditions of what is acceptable or not. Case in
point, Romeo and Juliet, The Pawnbroker, and even the then X rated Midnight
Cowboy. Also, the rating are copyrighted and you would have to ask
permission to use them.

Jerry Notaro, Media Librarian
USF St. Petersburg