[Videolib] Question Point [1095786] Lovers behind the camera

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:54:42 +0200

Many thanks to those who have contributed to the listing of the
respective movies (and couples). It's a bit more difficult to answer
this question as it seems to be at the first glance. Because I did not
find any database or listing to this subject on the web I've checked
some books and journal articles that might be helpful to our patron -
books about screen lovers often mention the lovers behind the camera.
Here are some sources that seem to be useful:

Anne Bilson: Screen Lovers
München: Orbis Verlag, 1990
contains a chapter "private life" - lovers in real life, p. 87-119,

further sources in German:

- Adolf Heinzlmeier; Bernt Schulz: Happy End: berühmte Liebespaare der
Leinwand
Frankfurt/Main: Fischer-Taschenbuch-Verlag, 1981
239 S.

- Peter W. Engelmeier: Happy together: Hollywoods unvergessliche Paare
München, Prestel, 2002
92 S.

- Hans Walter Betz: Liebespaare im Film
Berlin: Curtius, 1940

- Thomas Schröder (Hrsg.): Berühmte Liebespaare: von Johann Wolfgang
Goethe und Christiane Vulpius bis Simone Signoret und Yves Montand
Frankfurt/Main: Insel Tachenbuch, 1999

in English:

- Martha P. Nochimson: Screen Couple Chemistry : The Power of 2
University of Texas Press; 1st edition (December 1, 2002)
408 S., engl.
seems to be an excellent title!

- Linda Sunshine: Lovers
Atlanta, Ga. : Turner Pub., 1992
204 S., engl.

- Virgina Wright Waxman: Creating the couple: love, marriage, and
Hollywood performance
Princeton University Press, 1993
302 S., engl.

Journal articles:

- Hullett, A.: Sweethearts: some romantic teams at MGM
in: Films in Review Vol XXVIII nr 2 (Feb 1977); p 89-99
Survey of some of the films of famous romantic teams such as
Garbo-Gilbert, Powell-Loy, Crawford-Gable, Tracy-Hepburn etc.

- Schlüpmann, Heide: Deutsche Liebespaare
in: Frauen und Film nr 35 (Oct 1983); p 12-23
On famous loving couples in West German films of the 1950's, esp. their
image of women.

- Fiedler, Jeannine
Anstiftung zur Liebe: Kampfzonen im Kino und im Leben
in: Filmbulletin Vol XLIII nr 233 (Oct 2001); p 3-4
Essay on the "war zones" of love, partnership and marriage in some
famous examples from film history.

Here follows the listing which was useful to our patron, too (our
library participates in the QuestionPoint network
http://www.questionpoint.org/ and I am responsible to inquiries
concearning film):

Audrey Hepburn und William Holden, Sabrina
Anne Bancroft und Mel Brooks in a TV show
Jennifer Lopez und Ben Affleck, Gigli
Sandra Bullock und Matthew McConaughy, A Time to Kill
Matthew McConaughy und Penelope Cruz, Sahara
Penelope Cruz und Tom Cruise, Vanilla Sky
Tom Cruise und Nicole Kidman, Days of Thunder
Tom Cruise und Rebecca DeMorney, Risky Business
Bugsy (Warren Beaty and Annette Bening)
To Have and Have Not (Bogart and Becall)
Mr. and Mrs. Smith (Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie)
Gattaca (Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman)
Brokeback Mountain (Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams)

Also of interest the book of Tab Hunter
http://www.tabhunter.com/tabconfidential.htm
which we will buy for our library - and this one, too
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/078671607X

with kind regards
Peter Delin
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin