Re: [Videolib] Subject search

Meghann Matwichuk (mtwchk@udel.edu)
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:59:49 -0400

--------------080001090009070101040603

I saw one excellent film at the Philadelphia GLBT Film Fest this past
summer that I'd recommend to anyone collecting in these areas; it's a
little more obscure than some of the titles already mentioned but in my
opinion is one of the best docs I've seen on GLBT issues. It's called
/We Are Dad/.

The film follows two men, pediatric nurses, who adopt and raise
'throwaway' babies born with HIV. The story follows the family and
their legal problems when one of the children tests negative at age 3.
(Since he is HIV-free, the state views him as a candidate for adoption
by a 'regular' family.) One major theme of the film is the
discrimination these men face as gay parents, however there are many
wonderful scenes of the family going about their daily business --
funny, touching, etc. The viewer gets a really good sense of how these
men and children interact as a family. More information at:

http://www.frameline.org/festival/29th/programs/we_are_dad.html (film
description)
http://www.lethimstay.com (ACLU advocacy site)

To order, contact:

*We Are Dad*
Michel Horvat
Tavroh Films
ph 323 655 3520
e-mail tavrohfilms@pacbell.net <mailto:tavrohfilms@pacbell.net>

Hope this is helpful,

*************************
Meghann R. Matwichuk, M.S.
Assistant Librarian
Instructional Media Department
Morris Library, University of Delaware
181 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19717
(302) 831-1475

Tatar, Becky wrote:

> Hello, everyone. We have had a several requests for videos on gay
> parenting/gay youth. I have contacted PFLAG, and am waiting for a
> response, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Thanks!
>
> Becky Tatar
> Periodicals/Audiovisuals
> Aurora Public Library
> 1 E. Benton Street
> Aurora, IL 60505
> Phone: 630-264-4100
> FAX: 630-896-3209
> bltata@aurora.lib.il.us
> _www.aurora.lib.il.us_ <file://www.aurora.lib.il.us>

--------------080001090009070101040603

I saw one excellent film at the Philadelphia GLBT Film Fest this past summer that I'd recommend to anyone collecting in these areas; it's a little more obscure than some of the titles already mentioned but in my opinion is one of the best docs I've seen on GLBT issues.  It's called We Are Dad.

The film follows two men, pediatric nurses, who adopt and raise 'throwaway' babies born with HIV.  The story follows the family and their legal problems when one of the children tests negative at age 3.  (Since he is HIV-free, the state views him as a candidate for adoption by a 'regular' family.)  One major theme of the film is the discrimination these men face as gay parents, however there are many wonderful scenes of the family going about their daily business -- funny, touching, etc.  The viewer gets a really good sense of how these men and children interact as a family.  More information at:

http://www.frameline.org/festival/29th/programs/we_are_dad.html (film description)
http://www.lethimstay.com (ACLU advocacy site)

To order, contact:

We Are Dad