RE: [Videolib] DVD circulations before considering

Jeff Scott (JScott@ci.casa-grande.az.us)
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:22:09 -0700

I have a question that is not related to replacement, but in the case
the item you have has so much wear and tear, should you charge the
patron for finishing it off. I think everyone agrees to keep it in the
system until it breaks, but when it breaks, do you charge the patron?

My thoughts are the difference between an item dying a natural death
(just old), versus one that was killed (damaged or destroyed by patron).
At one point does an item become susceptible to old age, DVD, VHS ,
Audio Cassette, Music/Audiobook on CD?

Jeff Scott
Library Manager
Casa Grande Public Library
449 N. Dry Lake
Casa Grande, AZ, 85222
(520) 421-8710
jscott@ci.casa-grande.az.us
http://www.ci.casa-grande.az.us

>>> bltata@aurora.lib.il.us 10/20/05 12:43 PM >>>
I know others have had specific circ criteria for replacing videos.
My
feeling for both video and dvd is - until someone says they don't
work,
and I can verify that, they are available to circulate. With DVDs
supposedly better than video (HA!), they shouldn't need replacing due
wear and tear. (but we know better!) So, unless someone tells you the
disc isn't working, why replace it? Unless you have demand for
additional copies.

Becky Tatar
Periodicals/Audiovisuals
Aurora Public Library