RE: [Videolib] number of DVD circulations before considering

Cartford, Peter, JCL (CartfordP@jocolibrary.org)
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:33:33 -0500

Hi Jodie,

We haven't placed a circ ceiling on DVDs because, theoretically at
least, they can be used indefinitely. Because there's no wear during
playback that would degrade picture quality over time (DVD players can
destroy discs but that's rare and another story), as long as a disc
isn't damaged beyond repair or reported defective, it stays in the
collection. We're also assuming that damage/defects or obsolescence
will take all our DVDs out of the collection long before they reach the
point of physical deterioration due to age.

Peter

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian
Johnson County Library
Overland Park, KS
913-495-2496
cartfordp@jocolibrary.org
-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jodie Reha
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 7:12 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] number of DVD circulations before considering
replacement

Good morning, everyone,

I have a question about the number of circulations for a DVD before
considering replacement. I work in a public library setting where DVDs
are the preferred format.

Does anyone have a standard number of circulations they use locally to
determine if a title needs to be replaced? Do you use physical condition
only? Does anyone know of any resources I could access or use to gather
some information?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Jodie A. Reha
AV Cataloger