Re: [Videolib] number of DVD circulations before considering

Jerry Notaro (notaro@stpt.usf.edu)
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:57:16 -0500

Numbers have rarely been a good guide to any medium's life expectancy. I
remember when videocassettes first started circulating and we were told to
expect 40 circulations per title. I have some Peanuts titles that have been
circulating for 20 years, hundreds of times. Our best guide is patron
complaints. DVD's are much more sensitive so you need to try them out in
several players when complaints arise. There is a Darwinian selection
process which sometimes occurs: when the popularity of some titles wane,
their condition deteriorates to the point where they DON'T need replacing.

Jerry