Re: [Videolib] Future of microfilm

Glenda Pearson (pearson@u.washington.edu)
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:08:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Becky, et al,
Microform is still the so-called gold standard of preservation as far as
academic libraries are concerned. Too little is known about the longevity
of newer technologies, problems with hardware and software availability
over the long term, etc. (As one wag said, you can still read microform
if you only have a match and a magnifying glass.)

Microform colletions are now the basis of very large scale
conversion-to-digital projects involving massive filmed sets of monographs
and journals, newspapers, etc. Microform should be considered the basic
platform from which other forms of delivery to the user are based.
It is space efficient compared to print, very long-lived (given reasonably
good environmental conditions), easy to organize and not of any interest
to hackers. When Proquest online databases go down or the New York Times
facsimile web version is inaccessible, researchers can still turn to
microform holdings of the same intellectual content found in the
electronic resources.

And despite popular opinion to the contrary, "everything" is not on the
web. It will be decades before even a majority of U.S. newspapers will
have a complete digital presence on the web, to say nothing of foreign
news sources. Not every library needs a vast microform collection because
institutions that have these large resources usually will lend them.
Microform is fairly easy to ship, or scan and send electronically, giving
the format some degree of portability.

Enjoy your new reader/printers!

Glenda Pearson
Head, Microform and Newspaper Collections
Suzzallo Library
University of Washington
Seattle, Washington 98195