Re: [Videolib] Best African American Films

MileFilms@aol.com
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:58:34 EDT

--part1_54.4dad96a0.306eac9a_boundary

In a message dated 9/30/05 10:06:40 AM, ccollins@heightslibrary.org writes:
> I have a patron looking for a ranked, AFI-style list for the "best"
> African American films.=C2=A0 (He seems pretty flexible on whether we are
> talking about films with African American directors, or African American
> stars, or whatever.) I've checked everywhere I can think of, but haven't
> turned up anything.=C2=A0 Has anyone seen such a list?
>=20

Well, there are several excellent books on African-American cinema that he=20
can read about the films and see what he might be interested in. Here=E2=80=
=99s just a=20
short list running back to the library. There's one more I can't find and ca=
n't=20
think of off the top of my head, but it has a very good interview with=20
Charles Burnett...

Alexander, George. Why We Make Movies: Black Filmmakers Talk About the Magic=
=20
of Cinema=20
Bowser, Pearl & Gaines, Jane & Musser, Charles Oscar Micheaux and His Circle=
:=20
African-American Filmmaking and Race Cinema of the Silent Era=20
Bogle, Donald Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies and Bucks=20
Van Peebles, Melvin The Making of Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song
Jones, G. William Black cinema treasures lost and found. Foreword by=20
Ossie Davis.=20
Cripps, Thomas Making Movies Black: The Hollywood Message Movie from=20
World War II to the Civil Rights Era =20
Cripps, Thomas Slow Fade to Black: The Negro in American Film, 1900-42 =20=
=20
Diawara, Manthia (Editor) Black American Cinema (Afi Film Readers)=20
Klotman, Phyllis R. African Americans in Cinema: The First Half Century=20
James, David E. The Most Typical Avant-Garde : History and Geography of=20
Minor Cinemas in Los Angeles=20

And=20

and I've never even read this so I don't know if it's any god, but how about=
:
S. Torriano Berry Venise T. Berry The 50 Most Influential Black Films: A=
=20
Celebration of African-American Talent, Determination, and Creativity=20

I did NOT like "Black Directors in Hollywood" by Melvin Donaldson --=20
especially after my dog ate half the cover off of the public library's copy.=
..
=20

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035
Email: milefilms@aol.com
Website: http://www.milestonefilms.com

In a message dated 9/30/05 10:06:40 AM, ccollins@heightslibrary.org writes:<= BR>

I have a patron looki= ng for a ranked, AFI-style list for the "best"
African American films.=C2=A0 (He seems pretty flexible on whether we are talking about films with African American directors, or African American
stars, or whatever.) I've checked everywhere I can think of, but haven't
turned up anything.=C2=A0 Has anyone seen such a list?

Well, there are several excellent books on African-American cinema that he= can read about the films and see what he might be interested in. Here=E2= =80=99s just a short list running back to the library. There's one more I ca= n't find and can't think of off the top of my head, but it has a very good i= nterview with Charles Burnett...

Alexander, George. Why We Make Movies: Black Filmmakers Talk About the Magic= of Cinema
Bowser, Pearl & Gaines, Jane & Musser, Charles Oscar Micheaux and Hi= s Circle: African-American Filmmaking and Race Cinema of the Silent Era
Bogle, Donald     Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies and Bu= cks
Van Peebles, Melvin     The Making of Sweet Sweetback's=20= Baadasssss Song
Jones, G. William     Black cinema treasures lost and fo= und. Foreword by Ossie Davis.
Cripps, Thomas     Making Movies Black: The Hollywood Me= ssage Movie from World War II to the Civil Rights Era
Cripps, Thomas     Slow Fade to Black: The Negro in Amer= ican Film, 1900-42
Diawara, Manthia (Editor)     Black American Cinema (Afi= Film Readers)
Klotman, Phyllis R.     African Americans in Cinema: The= First Half Century
James, David E.     The Most Typical Avant-Garde : Histo= ry and Geography of Minor Cinemas in Los Angeles

And

and I've never even read this so I don't know if it's any god, but how about= :
S. Torriano Berry Venise T. Berry     The 50 Most Influe= ntial Black Films: A Celebration of African-American Talent, Determination,=20= and Creativity

I did NOT like "Black Directors in Hollywood" by Melvin Donaldson -- especia= lly after my dog ate half the cover off of the public library's copy...