Re: [Videolib] Popular Collection

Gary Daniels (Gary@interruptProductions.com)
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:26:31 -0400

"Most people have to search the Library catalog to know where to find the
books on chimpanzees and the videos are included in the database."

This is true if you were actually searching for books on chimpanzees in
the first place but not if you stumbled upon the chimpanzee books after
initially searching for something altogether different. Sometimes I
search for one type of book in the database, go to the shelves and start
browsing, and then discover books on a completely different subject that
I also find interesting. I've read many books that I didn't go into the
library searching for. 50% of the time I go to a library I don't search
the database at all, I'm simply browsing for something interesting to
read. Databases aren't very good at directing you to the search terms
"something interesting to read." So I just cruise the aisles until
something catches my eye. If there was also a DVD on the same subject
sitting next to the book, I might give it a chance also.

Retailers use this strategy all the time. You go to the store looking
for one thing and right next to it is something you never dreamed of
needing but now that you see it, you buy it. Amazon.com has perfected
this technique. I read one of their marketing studies once that half of
all purchases did not come as the result of searches for the item purchased.

If you're relying solely on database searches to promote your A/V
collection and you're happy with the results, keep doing what you're
doing. But if you feel that your A/V collection that's down in the
basement is underutilized then you may want to change your strategy. And
I'm not completely sure adding a popular movie like Planet of the Apes
is going to increase circulation of that Nat'l Geographic Jane Goodall
documentary. But I do know from previous discussions on this list that
popular movies have a higher theft rate. So your $1000 investment may
simply be an investment in future headaches, hassles, and security upgrades.

Gary Daniels
http://school.lostworlds.org?gad=CPjfzOoBEgieuiFYPHFugxjIgoT_AyCy_rUL
Native American History Videos & Multimedia