Re: [Videolib] Interfiling books & AV ;

(pashuf@charter.net)
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:13:30 -0400

In some smaller collections interfiling of books and AV works better than shelving items separately by format. Problems which arise are (a) packaging multi-part sets which don't come in a package ready for shelving; (b) distances between shelves must be much greater than in order to accomodate larger items; and (c) finding suitable bookends can be a challenge!

We changed to interfiling all formats about 18 months ago, and it is working much better for this library than having the various media shelved separately. Multipart curriculum kits, which are classified by topic, are packaged in Janway "hanging" bags. Different colored bags are used for different audiences (children, youth, adults) and the bags sit on the shelves adjacent to books, DVD's, and VHS's on the same topic. Our users are far more likely to examine all the available materials when they're interfiled; and topic is more important to them than format.

Pat Shufeldt
Foothills Presbytery Resource Center
Greenville, SC