[SPAM] Re: [Videolib] Popular Collection

John Streepy (John.Streepy@cwu.edu)
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:16:33 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_+HxitKNyEzjOBQTNUPEK1A)

Gary
in a perfect world yes, videos and all other forms of non print media
could be interfiled, but due to security, internal politics, costs
and/or any of another 100+ reasons, non print media often is put in
their own areas. As media librarians, we strive in numerous of ways to
get our patrons to know that there are materials on various subjects
available, and what Pamela is doing is one way about it. We do what we
can, sometimes the hardest point is getting patrons to talk to us.
jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Assistant III
Library-Media Circulation
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/media

>>>Gary@interruptProductions.com 09/29/05 12:19 pm >>>
I'm not a librarian but I've never understood why videos are segregated
from the rest of the collection. If I'm browsing through a selection of
books about Jane Goodall and other books about chimpanzee research, I
would most likely also be interested in viewing your National
Geographic video dealing with the same subject. If the video is on the
shelf with books of a similar topic, I'd more likely a) know it exists
and b) check it out. I doubt I would wander down to the AV department
just to see if their were any videos about chimps.

As a video & multimedia producer, I'd much prefer to see my documentary
&cd-rom on Native Americans shelved beside books on the same topic.
The goal of most documentarians is to get people interested in a
subject so that hopefully they will want to explore it more on their
own. I think shelving books, videos, & CDROMs together would create a
great synergy and you might even see circulation for all increase.

-Gary Daniels
http://school.lostworlds.org?gad=CPjfzOoBEgieuiFYPHFugxjIgoT_AyCy_rUL
Native American History Videos & Multimedia

Pamela Sue Reeves wrote:

>The AV collection is housed in the basement and we do not get a lot of
>traffic. Our intent is to draw more people into the library with the
>popular movies and then they will see our collection of documentary and
>educational titles. I'm looking at a very small budget of $1000.00. I
>am considering 25 of AFI's top 100, and the remainder in current first
>run movies, award winners, documentaries etc.
>
>Pamela Reeves
>preeves@uwyo.edu
>Manager
>University of Wyoming
>Audio Visual Services
>Dept. #3334
>1000 E. University Ave.
>Laramie, WY 82071
>(307)766-3184

=0D=0A =0D=0A =0D=0A =0D=0A =0D=0A <= body style=3D"margin-bottom: 1px; margin-left: 4px; margin-top: 4px; = margin-right: 4px">=0D=0A

Gary=0D=0A
=0D=0A =
in a perfect world yes, videos and all other forms of non p= rint media could be interfiled, but due to security, internal= politics, costs and/or any of another 100+ reasons, non = print media often is put in their own areas.  As media librarian= s, we strive in numerous of ways to get our patrons to know that = there are materials on various subjects available, and what Pamel= a is doing is one way about it.  We do what we can, sometime= s the hardest point is getting patrons to talk to us.=0D=0A
= =0D=0A
jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Assistant III<= br>Library-Media Circulation

= >>>Gary@interruptProductions.com 09/29/05 12:19 pm >>&= gt;
I'm not a librarian but I've never understood why vide= os are segregated
from the rest of the collection. If I'm brow= sing through a selection of
books about Jane Goodall and other boo= ks about chimpanzee research, I
would most likely also be inte= rested in viewing your  National
Geographic video = dealing with the same subject. If the video is  on the
s= helf with books of a similar topic, I'd more likely a) kn= ow it exists
and b) check it out. I doubt I would  w= ander  down  to the AV department
just to see = if  their were any videos about chimps.

As a video &= amp; multimedia producer, I'd much prefer to see my documenta= ry

Pamela Sue Reeves wrote:

>The AV collectio= n is housed in the basement and we do not get a lot of
>traffic= .  Our intent is to draw more people into the library with = the
>popular movies and then they will see our collection of do= cumentary and
>educational titles.  I'm looking a= t a very small budget of $1000.00.  I
>am conside= ring 25 of AFI's top 100, and the remainder in current first<= br>>run movies, award winners, documentaries etc.
><= br>>Pamela Reeves
>preeves@uwyo.edu
>Manager
>Un= iversity of Wyoming