RE: [Videolib] Popular Collection

Suzanne Tronier (STronier@slco.lib.ut.us)
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:12:41 -0600

I agree. Although when I wanted to interfile them at this library
(maybe 8 years ago), I was told that they had interfiled them for a
while and that they didn't check out nearly as much. I think the book
people would have appreciated seeing the videos, but the people browsing
videos wouldn't be as likely to browse for them in books. Now, we are
so crowded for space that interfiling videos would require a significant
reconfiguration of the whole collection.

One thing I did do was pull all language materials together in a section
called "Language Learning" because we had so many formats that people
may not have considered if they weren't together so that books, CD-Roms,
videos and tapes are all filed by call number with format ignored. That
has worked well.

Suzanne Tronier, Manager
East Millcreek Library
Salt Lake County Library System

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Gary Daniels
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:20 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Popular Collection

I'm not a librarian but I've never understood why videos are segregated
from the rest of the collection. If I'm browsing through a selection of
books about Jane Goodall and other books about chimpanzee research, I
would most likely also be interested in viewing your National
Geographic video dealing with the same subject. If the video is on the
shelf with books of a similar topic, I'd more likely a) know it exists
and b) check it out. I doubt I would wander down to the AV department

just to see if their were any videos about chimps.

As a video & multimedia producer, I'd much prefer to see my documentary
& cd-rom on Native Americans shelved beside books on the same topic.
The goal of most documentarians is to get people interested in a
subject so that hopefully they will want to explore it more on their
own. I think shelving books, videos, & CDROMs together would create a
great synergy and you might even see circulation for all increase.

-Gary Daniels
http://school.lostworlds.org?gad=CPjfzOoBEgieuiFYPHFugxjIgoT_AyCy_rUL
Native American History Videos & Multimedia