RE: [Videolib] Popular Collection

Pamela Sue Reeves (PReeves@uwyo.edu)
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:44:07 -0600

Most people have to search the Library catalog to know where to find the
books on chimpanzees and the videos are included in the database.

Pamela Reeves
preeves@uwyo.edu
Manager
University of Wyoming
Audio Visual Services
Dept. #3334
1000 E. University Ave.
Laramie, WY 82071
(307)766-3184

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Daniels [mailto:Gary@interruptProductions.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:20 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Popular Collection

I'm not a librarian but I've never understood why videos are segregated
from the rest of the collection. If I'm browsing through a selection of
books about Jane Goodall and other books about chimpanzee research, I
would most likely also be interested in viewing your National
Geographic video dealing with the same subject. If the video is on the
shelf with books of a similar topic, I'd more likely a) know it exists
and b) check it out. I doubt I would wander down to the AV department

just to see if their were any videos about chimps.

As a video & multimedia producer, I'd much prefer to see my documentary
& cd-rom on Native Americans shelved beside books on the same topic.
The goal of most documentarians is to get people interested in a
subject so that hopefully they will want to explore it more on their
own. I think shelving books, videos, & CDROMs together would create a
great synergy and you might even see circulation for all increase.

-Gary Daniels
http://school.lostworlds.org?gad=CPjfzOoBEgieuiFYPHFugxjIgoT_AyCy_rUL
Native American History Videos & Multimedia