RE: [Videolib] Popular Collection

Hooft, Robert (RHOOFT@jibc.bc.ca)
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:26:34 -0700

Books and plastic video/CD cases don't mix well on the same shelf. They tend to slide away from each other and create a bit of a mess. Videos/DVD's tend to slip to the back of the shelves and get swallowed by the books.....hence, the separation.

That's been our experience anyway.....

Robert Hooft
Justice Institute of B.C. Library
715 McBride Blvd
New Westminster, B.C.
V3L 5T4
Ph: 604-528-5598
Fx: 604-528-5593

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Gary Daniels
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 12:20 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Popular Collection

I'm not a librarian but I've never understood why videos are segregated
from the rest of the collection. If I'm browsing through a selection of
books about Jane Goodall and other books about chimpanzee research, I
would most likely also be interested in viewing your National
Geographic video dealing with the same subject. If the video is on the
shelf with books of a similar topic, I'd more likely a) know it exists
and b) check it out. I doubt I would wander down to the AV department
just to see if their were any videos about chimps.

As a video & multimedia producer, I'd much prefer to see my documentary
& cd-rom on Native Americans shelved beside books on the same topic.
The goal of most documentarians is to get people interested in a
subject so that hopefully they will want to explore it more on their
own. I think shelving books, videos, & CDROMs together would create a
great synergy and you might even see circulation for all increase.

-Gary Daniels
http://school.lostworlds.org?gad=CPjfzOoBEgieuiFYPHFugxjIgoT_AyCy_rUL
Native American History Videos & Multimedia