RE: [Videolib] Warner Bros. established headings

Mike Tribby (mike.tribby@quality-books.com)
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:02:08 -0500

Doug;

Have you posted this question to the OLAC list? In my experience there is a
good deal more interest in the cataloging end of video librarianship there
than exists on this list.

After looking at the Warner Bros. name authority records--and as you know,
you've only brought up a couple of the plethora that exist--it looks to me
like which one one uses depends on when the item in hand being cataloged was
made. This is a case where several equally valid corporate name headings
exist for different companies that all share the same street address.

This note, "Cannot determine relationship between Warner Bros. Pictures and
Warner Bros." indicates to me that no clear distinction can be drawn between
the output of these two corporate entities based on the sources examined,
which include Warner's official "information" webpage. I'm sure there are
librarians on the OLAC e-mail discussion list who are conversant with using
these competing headings, but from the look of things in the authority file,
I would suggest that the entire situation is subject to change.

If you contact me offlist, I could suggest a couple of film catalogers who
might be able to help. We simply do not work with mainstream entities like
Warners enough to have experience in this particular conundrum.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.