Re: [Videolib] Popular Collection

MileFilms@aol.com
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:05:34 EDT

--part1_5b.7283625a.306d409e_boundary

In a message dated 9/28/05 6:10:25 PM, ghandman@library.berkeley.edu writes:

> Wow!=A0 There are loads of best lists, top grossing lists, cult favorites,=
=20
> genre
> lists, etc.=A0 The question is:=A0 a)=A0 who's your audience and what's th=
e intent=20
> and
> uses of the collection? (and what does "popular" mean?) b) how much $ do y=
ou
> have to start with?=A0 c) do you have $ to make sure "popular" stays popul=
ar=20
> over
> time?=A0=A0
>=20

I especially agree with part a. Have you considered making this a community=20
effort? (something like a senate/house voting base balancing 1/3 professors,=
=20
1/3 librarians, 1/3 local populace) It might very well be just as valid as a=
n=20
AFI 100 list and a way for the library to connect with its users.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640