Re: [Videolib] Chinese films, available on DVD or 16mm?

Gary Handman (
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:45:31 -0700

Facets (et al.) sells a big juicy Hsiao-hsien Hou box set (Hou Hsiao-Hsien:
The Director's Limited Edition Collection) that includes "Time to Live,
Time to Die)

The rest are not out in DVD (at least legally) to my knowledge.

At 04:07 PM 9/26/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>A professor here wants to show several Chinese and Taiwanese movies this
>semester. Our library has them on VHS tapes, but she's not satisfied with
>the quality of the images. Now she wants me to find out whether they're
>available on DVD (to purchase) or 16mm (to rent). Does anyone know of
>sources for these titles?
>Hibiscus Town (originally Fu rong zhen, 1986, director Jin Xie)
>Yellow Earth (originally Huang tu di, 1984, director Kaige Chen)
>Black Cannon Incident (originally Hei pao shi jian, 1986, director Jianxin
>A Time to Live and a Time to Die; sometimes called The Time to Live and
>the Time to Die (originally Tong nien wang shi, 1985, director Hsiao-hsien Hou)
>Two Stage Sisters (originally Tong nien wang shi, 1985, director
>Hsiao-hsien Hou)
>Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
>Marilyn Huntley
>Marilyn B. Huntley, Audiovisual Assistant:
> Film scheduling, rentals/licensing & previews
>A-V Classroom Services, 408 C. A. Johnson Hall
>Hamilton College, 198 College Hill Rd., Clinton, NY 13323
>Phone 315-859-4120; Fax 315-859-4687
>Videolib mailing list

UC Berkeley

--Ted Berrigan