[Videolib] Hurricane Katrina and video librarians

Nell Chenault (njchenau@vcu.edu)
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:04:27 -0400

I have an update on some of our friends and VRT members from the New
Orleans area. Please forgive duplicate posting if you are on both
videolib and the vrt member lists.

1. Joe Clark and his family are safe in Memphis. His sister Mary Ann
Markes (also a librarian with New Orleans Public Library) is with them
as well. Both Joe's home and public library branch were "under water".
Joe is branch manager of the East New Orleans Regional branch which
opened in 2002 (see link with photo:
http://nutrias.org/~nopl/info/branches/eno/eno2002/enolab.htm
<http://nutrias.org/%7Enopl/info/branches/eno/eno2002/enolab.htm>).
Only the branch library roof was dry during the height of the flood.
For updates about New Orleans Public Library post-Katrina and ways
individuals can help see: http://nutrias.org/. Joe has a new email:
joeclark10@hotmail.com <mailto:joeclark10@hotmail.com>. Phone: (901)
850-0256.

2. Kathleen Kilgen is at home. Joe indicated that her home had some
water and wind damage, but was OK. Kathleen sent the following update
on her Lafourche Parish Public Library on 9/12. Kathleen is Reference
Librarian at the Cutoff/Galliano Branch. Her email: kmkilgen@yahoo.com
<mailto:kmkilgen@yahoo.com>.

>Lower Lafourche got pretty banged up, mostly wind damage. Nearer to the Gulf, Grand Isle
>and Point Fourchon got the storm surge. Pretty bad. Our Golden Meadow Branch's roof was blown off.
>Thankfully, we had just bought a new building, so we tried to salvage what we could. The new one hadn't
>been renovated yet, so it will be a while before it's open.

3. Stephen Pomes has taken refuge in Pittsburg, PA. Stephen is librarian for U.S. Dept. of Interior Minerals Management Service Library in New Orleans. His work email: stephen.pomes@mms.gov or stephen_pomes@hotmail.com <mailto:stephen_pomes@hotmail.com>

4. Sam Readman is no longer a New Orleans resident. He is currently a librarian with Miami Public Library. He has had difficulties with Katrina in Pensacola, FL. His father's home was struck last time by Hurricane Camille. They rebuilt higher. Sam's father's home was struck again by Katrina, which had a higher storm surge. Sam has been in Pensacola helping his Father with significant first floor home damage. Sam's email: sreadman2000@yahoo.com <mailto:sreadman2000@yahoo.com>

5. VRT Gala Speaker, 2006, Royce Osborn (/All on a Mardi Gras Day/) has also evacuated New Orleans for Los Angeles. See the transcript from his story on the Travis Smiley web site: http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/archive/200509/20050909.html

I hope our other members in other areas such as Biloxi, Mississippi (Foster Flint), Florida, and Alabama fairing well.

Nell Chenault
Access & Media Librarian
VCU Libraries
Richmond, VA 23284-2033
(804) 828-2070 (voice mail), 828-1088 MRS