RE: [Videolib] another fair use question

Hornbeck, Patty (hornbeck@middlebury.edu)
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:08:43 -0400

Eileen et al.,
It was not my intention to be confrontational about this, nor to suggest that the film industry shouldn't make a profit. I brought up the issue because it deserves discussion, indeed it is being discussed quite widely. Colleges and universities have been among the staunchest defenders of intellectual property rights but many are starting to consider whether current copyright laws are worth challenging in the interests of giving equal weight to the rights of scholarship.
On the other hand, I never did look that good in silver...:-)
Patty
_________________________________
Patricia Hornbeck
Media Resources Development Coordinator
Middlebury College
Library and Information Services/#212
Middlebury, VT 05753

(802)443-2268 phone
(802)443-5698 fax
Email: hornbeck@middlebury.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Eileen
Karsten
Sent: Wed, September 21, 2005 11:24 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] another fair use question

Do you consider your tuition an impediment to learning? As much as we
like to think so, education is not free. When we purchase a film, we
know that there are certain limitations to its use. I do not know why
we want to continue to give the film industry so much grief because they
want to make a profit on their product. Or, in some cases, just make
back the production costs.

Sincerely,

Eileen Karsten
Lake Forest College