Re: [Videolib] another fair use question

MileFilms@aol.com
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:19:27 EDT

--part1_126.65d81ce7.3062fe2f_boundary

In a message dated 9/21/05 1:32:46 PM, jrosner@kino.com writes:

> I do find it somewhat interesting that for the record American Copyright is
> SIGNICANTLY more generous than those in Canada and Europe in terms of
> academic use and the length of the copyright. The kind of discussions we have on
> this would be totally moot as you would already be paying much higher fees

I really got to get back to work or sneak out and play tennis. Just to point
out further, European copyright's main assumption is that EVERYTHING is
copyrighted. Public domain only exists in theory. The Passion of Joan of Arc is a
perfect example of this where by all rational belief, this is an orphan film,
but Gaumont claims copyright and strictly enforces it throughout the world.

Additionally, copyright ownership in several countries has been extended to
various collaborators for each film including as I recall, the director,
scriptwriter, composer, cinematographer and editor. And so fifty years after death
of the copyright owner can be a long, long, long time. Lastly, unlike the
Library of Congress, there is no central clearing house for any of these countries
to find out just who the copyright holder may be. If you look to Asia, Japan
just extended their copyright laws from fifty to seventy years.

And if you think of colleges being around for 100s of years (even my high
school is celebrating its 230th birthday), 95 years is a blink of an eye!

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640