Re: [Videolib] another fair use question

M. Claire Stewart (claire-stewart@northwestern.edu)
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:15:14 -0500

I'm not disagreeing about what's been said re: PPR; my institution
also draws the line at clubs and other non-class showings.

I would, however, like to point out that we may be mixing two
different copyright law exemptions. The exemption that mentions
face-to-face teaching is section 110; the fair use exemption is 107.
One need not qualify for/argue both. There are four fair use factors
that all must be weighed in order to use this affirmative defense.
The factor most relevant for educational use, the first factor
(character of the use), does not mention face-to-face teaching. The
closest 107 gets is a mention of multiple copies for classroom use.

The results of interpretation, that is, evaluating and weighing the
four factors in the courts, have been mixed. David Nimmer's 2003
article "Fairest of the Fair and other Fairy Tales of Fair Use"
illustrates this nicely:
<http://www.law.duke.edu/journals/lcp/articles/lcp66dWinterSpring2003p263.htm>
. He concludes that a fair use argument is something of a crapshoot.

Something that I have realized in the last 10 years of first helping
to set up and then watching our electronic reserve system evolve is
that, so far at least, the marketplace has tolerated a very wide
spectrum of interpretations of fair use and copyright law. Some
institutions always request permission. Some never do. Many do
sometimes. Particularly at the beginning, the same absolutist, the
law is black-and-white, you-can-never-do-this, you-can-always-do-this
attitude that I've seen from some on the VIDEOLIB list existed on
both sides. The CONFU discussions and aftermath show this in somewhat
painful detail. I will never believe what others have said, that
this is a clear-cut issue. It just isn't.

Claire

--
M. Claire Stewart
Head, Digital Media Services