Re: [Videolib] another fair use question 2

MileFilms@aol.com
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:03:41 EDT

--part1_1aa.3ed8d1f6.3062de5d_boundary

In a message dated 9/21/05 11:30:29 AM, BGriest@ci.glendale.ca.us writes:

> I know where the content providers stand--they want as much money as they
> can get.

Dear Brian,

I'm sorry, but this is what I might call casually offensive by association --
especially as referring to Jessica's point of view. Nobody at most of the
distributors you purchase from including Kino, Milestone, New Yorker, Zeitgeist,
Bullfrog, Filmmakers Coop, Cinema Guild, et cetera, went into the film
business to make a lot of money, and very few have. Consider that 50% of all rental
fees from these distributors, as an industry rule, goes to the filmmaker --
that is FAR better than authors or composers get. So this continually reoccurring
concept of "corporate" greed on this listserv (unless you can get employees
of TimeWarner or General Electric to join us) as well as the general public in
regard to copyright laws -- could be considered just a tad ill-considered at
times.

Do we complain about librarians' salaries? Believe it or not, you guys get
get paid better than working at almost any independent film distributor and with
the number of bankrupcies of film distributors (see -- or don't see --
October, USA, Shooting Gallery, Cowboy, and so on) throughout the history of cinema,
job security isn't so reliable as well.

As I said in my previous email, I do agree that working to change the
copyright law is a much better protest, however.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035
Email: milefilms@aol.com
Website: http://www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_1aa.3ed8d1f6.3062de5d_boundary

I know where the cont= ent providers stand--they want as much money as they can get.

Dear Brian,

I'm sorry, but this is what I might call casually offensive by associatio= n -- especially as referring to Jessica's point of view. Nobody= at most of the distributors you purchase from including Kino, Milestone, Ne= w Yorker, Zeitgeist, Bullfrog, Filmmakers Coop, Cinema Guild, et cetera, wen= t into the film business to make a lot of money, and very few have. Consider= that 50% of all rental fees from these distributors, as an industry rule, g= oes to the filmmaker -- that is FAR better than authors or composers get. So= this continually reoccurring concept of "corporate" greed on this listserv=20= (unless you can get employees of TimeWarner or General Electric to join us)=20= as well as the general public in regard to copyright laws -- could be consid= ered just a tad ill-considered at times.