Re: [Videolib] another fair use question

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:28:55 -0400

The law happens to very clear on this one. She can show the films to a CLASS
of students ENROLLED in THAT class as part of the class instruction
She can NOT show it to a student "group" or "club" only to students who are
in her specific class.
There is no such thing as an "educational" exemption. Only a VERY specific
"face to face" teaching exemption. FYI this has NOTHING to do with "fair
use" but with the above mentioned "face to face"

I am bit tired but I am sure Gary or someone else can post the link or text
for this in the copyright code

> Hi all,
>
> We have a community college here with a multicultural and global issues
> program. The person in charge of this program teaches classes and also does
> some community events. She was under the impression (backed up by the media
> center, which is not the library) that since she is in a teaching environment
> and these films are to further the education of the students, that she does
> not have to have any special rights for films like "Crash" and "Maria Full of
> Grace." These are films that she would like to show her student group, call
> "Global Friends". I called her when I saw "Crash" advertised in an email
> newsletter and she has since pulled that film and substituted "Invisible
> Children" for which she has permission. But she is still under the impression
> that she can show "Crash" at a later date to the student club without
> performance rights (and if they happen to bring their friends, that is okay).
>
> Can she show these films in the classroom without performance rights? Can she
> show them to the Global Club and friends without performance rights?
> Thanks,
> kc
>
> Kim Crowley, Director
> Flathead County Library phone: 406.758.5826
> 247 First Avenue East fax: 406.758.5868
> Kalispell, MT. 59901-4598
> kcrowley@co.flathead.mt.us

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE