RE: [Videolib] DVD Region Coding

Jonathan Degan (jdegan@uottawa.ca)
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:25:41 -0400

No, not all DVD drives installed on PC or Macs allow unlimited switching of
Regions. VLC is a software player that allows this to be skipped.

NTSC/ PAL is irrelevant for PCs as the resolution/frequency of a modern
monitor/videocard is far larger than for a PAL or NTSC signal.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Christopher
Lewis
Sent: September 15, 2005 11:18 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] DVD Region Coding

Hey Rick,

I believe that PCs are capable of playing DVDs from all regions. I would
assume the same for Macs. Have you encountered problems? The problem may be
in the NTSC/PAL/SECAM equation. I don't know if the average videocard can
understand/translate all the variations.

Chris Lewis
Media Librarian/Humanities Collection Manager American University Library
202.885.3257
AIM: congolene

There's no thief like a bad book.
- Italian saying

"Rick Provine"
<PROVINE@depauw.e
du> To
Sent by: <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
videolib-bounces@ cc
library.berkeley.
edu Subject
[Videolib] DVD Region Coding

09/15/2005 10:16
AM

Please respond to
videolib@library.
berkeley.edu

Howdy:

How have you all handled region coding on PCs/Macs (as opposed to set-top
players)? Have you found freeware solutions or workarounds that allow users
access to all dvds in yoru collections?

Thanks,

Rick