RE: [Videolib] "electronic digital video reserves"

Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:51:56 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5BA0D.66624057

Pat,=20

=20

This is a touchy issue. There does not seem to be consensus on this, and
opinions on the legality or illegality of doing something like this are
very strong. I am hoping that the group headed by Lolly Gasaway that is
working on possible updates to section 108
http://www.cccnewsletter.com/ccc_05_fall/fallwinter2005c.htm will deal
with issues like yours. =20

=20

One thing that you can do now (which is clearly legal) is to make copies
of those out of print (no longer available in an unused form) VHS tapes
that disintegrate or become unplayable (or are stolen or lost). Note,
however that you cannot do this in a "just in case" manner; you have to
wait until the tape is lost, stolen or damaged before you can do this,
requiring you to borrow a legal copy from another institution from which
to make a replacement for your lost, stolen or damaged tape. While this
is a cumbersome process, it can help us to keep these rare items
available to our customers.=20

=20

mb

=20