[Videolib] Re: CDigix and Media Streaming (clarification)

Meghann Matwichuk (mtwchk@udel.edu)
Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:39:59 -0400

Hello again,

I'd gotten a question privately about this email that makes me realize I
need to offer some clarification about what aspects of Cdigix we are
concerned with. The Cflix service (one of the subset of services that
Cdigix offers) is like pay-per view streaming of feature films for
students' entertainment needs, from what I understand (and is most
highly touted on Cdigix's website). The Clabs subset is what our
planning committee is most interested in. It would be similar to Films'
new On Demand service, from what I can tell, but does not offer
content. (Material from the collection is digitized and then put online
for course use.) Honestly, I am far from sold on the idea because of
rights complications. I haven't heard anything about how rights are
handled, except for one institution that has the faculty sign a form
stating that they are using it only for class use. I doubt such a form
would mean a thing to any one of a hundred distributors / rights holders
that are likely to take this to court. Plus it does nothing to address
the fact that you can't, fair use be damned, make a digitized copy of
analog material (or circumvent copy protection). I have yet to hear how
this concern is being addressed.

Thanks,

Meghann R. Matwichuk, M.S.
Assistant Librarian