Re: [Videolib] Re: [Vidalia] Warner Brothers Entertainment vs.

(no name) ((no email))
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 12:43:26 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

One more time, thank you Jessica! And by the way--in a state that ranks 48th in the US in library funding, Gary, if public libraries AND PBS had to depend on the generosity of the government at both federal and state levels to purchase materials, we would be using Little Golden Books and 9.99 Target "special bin" media to keep the shelves stocked. It is those people that we serve, at all economic levels, that keep the doors open.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jessica Rosner <jrosner@kino.com>
Sent: Aug 27, 2005 12:12 PM
To: videolib <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: [Videolib] Re: [Vidalia] Warner Brothers Entertainment vs. Institutions?

Gary
I don't know where to begin. Again I sympathize with your views but I think
they are just a tad over the top. Making "popular" films and books available
to the "masses" is hardly "subsidizing" popular entertainment. While I am
sure the big publishers & studios don't mind the extra revenue they get from
libraries it is hardly their main source of revenue for their best sellers.
Libraries are there to serve THE WHOLE COMMUNITY. Libraries make a very
great effort to target their collections, thus those with particular ethnic
populations try to buy a material of special appeal to those groups but I
am willing to bet that Harry Potter & Stephen King books & films are MUCH
more popular with black, white, Native American etc patrons
than a documentary on poverty in America. I don't suppose you now want to
tell the users what THEY should take out. Should people in the lower incomes
be forced to rent from Blockbuster or Netflix to see Harry Potter or
Citizen Kane because you think their local libraries should not carry them ?

Most librarians work VERY hard to provide a diverse collection of material
for their patrons but if they had only material you deemed appropriate I
doubt they would get much circulation. They are under enough pressure from
the right not to carry material which might be deemed offensive or
politically objectionable. I don't think it is a good idea to also tell them
They are ignoring the needs of the poor and minority communities.

Jessica

Barbara Rhodes
Media Consultant
Northeast Texas Library System