Re: [Videolib] Warner Brothers Entertainment vs Institutions?

(no name) ((no email))
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 12:04:02 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Thank you Jessica, for that gentle thought about public libraries. I work with 105 of them and I guarantee that you are absolutely correct about the tightrope they must walk between quality and popularity. It would be lovely to only have the "best of the best" in all formats to educate and improve the public, but only 2 people out of your average 100 "public" would ever walk into the building to be improved. In any institution, this means the doors do not stay open. We already have WAY too many politicians who don't see why they need to fund libraries, because "everything is on the Internet now; you don't need to buy any books". Can you imagine what their response to media is like? Us library-types do a lot of heavy sighing when such issues come up yet again--as they have for literally hundreds of library years.

Most of the public libraries that have any media budget and ANY sort of community interest, try to buy some of the "best of the best" media as well as the drek. They want to have quality, but they have a mandate to serve their publics and it does work to force feed people "culture", so we try to sneak it in. It is a difficult balancing act and a thankless job.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jessica Rosner <jrosner@kino.com>
Sent: Aug 25, 2005 2:31 PM
To: videolib <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Warner Brothers Entertainment vs Institutions?

While I understand your frustration I don't feel this is appropriate
analogy. Libraries can not curate material based on their feelings towards
publishers or distributors. They face limited budgets and conflicting needs.
The question of buying what is "popular" Vs what is perceived as more
culturally significant and or harder to get is always going to be there

However I can't really see a library media collection NOT having CITIZEN
KANE in it's collection anymore than it would not have a copy of MOBY DICK.
Studio films are clearly more available for rental at stores or by mail but
the reason for libraries to exist is for the public to have access to
materials locally and freely. Studios own and distribute some of the best
and most important films ever made and it is not practical to "boycott"
them.
HBO owns and distributes some of the best documentaries of the last decade.
Do you not have them in a collection because they are out on an HBO label ?

I confess that I am often VERY , VERY frustrated when Kino releases what I
believe to be a very important title and very, very ,very few public
libraries buy it for their collections. I know that libraries will probably
Buy tens of thousands of copies of the latest HARRY POTTER film and no
copies of TOUKI BOUKI , LOVE ME TONIGHT or THE MAN WHO LAUGHS. However
libraries have many communities to serve and many pressures to deal with
and it is not realistic to think that they will in essence ONLY carry
books and films from small independent companies that will frankly not be
as popular as things owned by those big companies.

I do sincerely share your concerns that libraries are not getting enough
independent material in their collections and hopefully that is something
we can work on. Alas I fear that in terms of this listserv that would be
Preaching to the converted

Jessica

I would once again submit this question:

> Why would you want to help use limited library acquisition funds to help
> subsidize a Hollywood corporation who CLEARLY doesn't respect you or
> your educational mission. You are just extra profits for them and if
> they can extract another dime from you by lieing to you about your legal
> rights, they will. You mean nothing to them.
>
> So why subsidize them with taxpayer dollars if you're a public
> institution or your foundation's dollars if you're private? Why not
> spend that money with educational video producers who create their
> content with YOU in mind.....not as some ancillary market to be shaken
> down for a few more dollars to help boost quarterly earnings reports.
>
> I feel like the Chic-Fil-A cow "Eat more chiken"...."Buy More From
> Independent Producers"
>
> Trust me, if Warner Bros, et al, were told they could have a major tax
> cut but it would mean libraries across the country would be shut down,
> which do you think they'd choose? I think they'd take the tax cut and to
> hell with the libraries. Every time someone checks out one of their
> videos from your library they see this as an erosion of sales....one
> less potential customer. When someone checks out my video from a
> library, I'm thinking, "Cool....one more person has just helped me
> accomplish my mission of educating people about the amazing Native
> American civilizations that once existed in this country."
>
> This all sounds like battered-wife syndrome- you love the one who abuses
> you the most. A company straight up lies to you about your rights under
> the law and says "We don't want anything to do with you, don't use our
> videos in the classroom", yet you still consider purchasing from
> them????????????????????????? Or maybe it's crack-whore syndrome--- she
> stays with the pimp that beats her because the crack is cheap. Their
> DVD's might be $19.99 but look at the monster you're supporting.
>
> Please.....support independents! That's my mantra and I'm sticking to it.
>
> -Gary Daniels
> http://school.lostworlds.org
> Native American History Videos
>

> Jessica Rosner wrote:
>
>> HBO can say what they want but the law is clear
>> YOU CAN USE THEM IN A CLASS. The law allows any legally purchased item to be
>> used in standard "face to face" teaching instruction. The ONLY way a
>> distributor could supercede this is to require the purchaser to wave these
>> rights by contract. There are small companies who handle educational
>> material who can use two tiered pricing as they can control each purchase
>> I don't see anyway HBO can do this as I assume all of their titles are out
>> in the retail market. Unless you are talking about some unusual titles which
>> Are not sold or rented to the public you can use it in classes
>>
>> Streaming is a TOTALLY different issue. For instance believe it or not
>> It is most unlikely HBO even OWNS those rights with many of its titles
> [...]

Barbara Rhodes
Media Consultant
Northeast Texas Library System